CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 18, 2008

Song of the Week 08.18.08



A lot of the time when I write songs I feel like I'm trying to get an idea or message of some sort across. That was not the case this week. This week all I was trying to do was describe a picture that I had in my head.
Last Thursday night I went on a walk at about 11:30. I was just trying to get my head clear because I had been trying to write and it was feeling really forced. I think I just had a lot on my mind and wasn't really sure what I was supposed to write about.
As I was walking and praying, I just asked God to give me something to write about. There was an amazing full moon out that night and as I started to concentrate on it the line, " the man in the moon has got his eye on you" came into my head. As I thought about that line I got a picture in my mind of a little girl, and her father watching her.
I already had the basic melody line in my head from a few weeks earlier. It really seemed to fit the picture well because it kind of sounded like a lullaby.
As I was writing I was just trying to imagine what it would feel like to have a daughter. In a lot of ways that thought scares me to death. The impression that I got from this father picture in my head was that raising this child would be the best and most important thing he ever does. It was like he was looking at her with such amazement because he never knew that he could love something so much.
It's crazy to think that the best thing I'll ever do with my life, is love and teach and raise a child. It really makes all the busyness seem less important.